Rockhampton Zoo is home to more than 80 birds in four aviaries across the Zoo. We have over 25 species of native and exotic birds including the dazzling Macaws, Rose-crowned Fruit Doves, Nicobar Pigeons, Eclectus Parrots and Royal Spoonbills to name a few .
Our darling Blue-and-yellow macaws (Ara ararauna) can be found in a separate enclosure next to the Exotic Rainforest Aviary and our Emus (Dromaius novaehollandiae) can be spotted in the Kangaroo Country enclosure.
Come along to the Australian Rainforest Aviary (the dome) any day at 2.45pm to listen and learn as one of our zoo keepers gives a talk and feeds the birds.
The Australian Rainforest Aviary (the dome)
- Alexandrine parrot (Psittacula eupatria)
- Australian king-parrot (Alisterus scapularis)
- Bar-shouldered dove (Geopelia humeralis)
- Crimson rosella (Platycercus elegans)
- Eastern whipbird (Psophodes olivaceus)
- Emerald dove (Chalcophaps indica)
- Glossy ibis (Plegadis falcinellus)
- Indian ringneck parrot (Psittacula krameri)
- Little black cormorant (Phalacrocorax sulcirostris)
- Pied imperial pigeon (Ducula bicolor)
- Rose-crowned fruit dove (Ptilinopus regina)
- Royal spoonbill (Platalea regia)
- Spotted dove (Spilopelia chinensis)
- Superb lyrebird (Menura novaehollandiae)
Walk through the Australian Rainforest Aviary to also see the Southern cassowary (Casuarius casuarius) in a separate enclosure.
Australian Bush Aviary
- Bush stone-curlew (Burhinus grallarius)
- Crested pigeon (Ocyphaps lophotes)
- Forest kingfisher (Todiramphus macleayii)
- Red-tailed black cockatoo (Calyptorhynchus banksii)
- Red-winged parrot (Aprosmictus erythropterus)
- Major mitchell cockatoo (Lophochroa leadbeateri)
- Twenty eight parrot (Barnardius zonarius)
Asian Rainforest Aviary
- Electus parrot (Eclectus roratus)
- Mandarin duck (Aix galericulata)
- Moustached parakeet (Psittacula alexandri)
- Nicobar pigeon (Caloenas nicobarica)
Rockhampton Zoo keeper with Electus parrots